HemCell® biopolymers is based on fibre-rich raw materials manufactured from prepared agricultural palm leaf waste. In an innovative production process, we combine this biological material with existing bioplastics such as PLA, creating a new polymer matrix. Several detailed studies show that the new HemCell biopolymer matrix is a truly new matrix. It is not a composite or compound, but a new monomaterial. Manipulating the composition of the granules, will provide different recipes and granules, each with its own specifications and application possibilities. HemCell® differs from PLA by its higher heat resistance, improved thermoplastic properties and the fact that it is fully home compostable.
As a rule biobased plastic is only industrially compostable. HemCell, however, will simply compost in the open air. It is 100% biodegradable and leaves 0% microplastics.
The secret of
The negative effects of plastic use, especially microplastics in the environment, are well known. These environmental impacts are driving market demand for sustainable alternatives such as bioplastics and virgin PLA. Unlike other manufacturers HemCell provides some important (processing) advantages:
- The granules can be formulated according to different recipes, depending on demand, application and volume.
- HemCell is processable at mass temperatures as low as 170 to 175°C with a mould temperature of only 35°C.
- In most cases, the granules can be used with existing moulds and injection moulding machines.
- HemCell granules are not prone to shrinkage.
- HemCell Resin is REACH compliant, TUV Food Contact Safe OM3 and has good OTR values.
- Its HDT is higher than regular virgin PLA at ± 80-85°C.
- Its specific gravity (SG) which, depending on the recipe, is around 1 kg/m3 is of interest to designers and processors. Other bioplastics have SGs of about 1.25-1.35 kg/m3.